I`M having a bunch of audiophiles come over any music suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

I`M having a bunch of audiophiles come over any music suggestions?

Hey dudes!

So Friday I am having some nutcases like me come over...too bad I am only getting my RSX 1056 next Wednesday :cry: ..ah well I`ll just have to do another one ..

So aside from the classics like Patty Barber...by the way I have her on XRCD2...freakin wow!

Let`s hear some suggestions!

Thanks guys!

Bam!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

From past experience with such gatherings, just ask your guests to bring their own favorite audiophile and system-test recordings and you'll have plenty to choose from that evening. With the stacks and stacks of albums they show up with, you may not even have time to play your hi-rez Patricia Barber album(s) unless already cued up and ready to go when they arrive. :>)

Have fun!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Bam, I think Burke has a great idea for you guys to get the most out of your session. That way, some of the software will be familiar ground for everyone involved. Have fun!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Hey Guys!

You' re right!

Awesome...I.ve already posted a message to them and they said "Wonderful...that's what we wanted to do!"

So thanks again!

Bam!

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

If you have time, let us know which CD's they bring. Always interested in discs that do the trick as far as recording quality.

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Glad the suggestion was helpful! Sound like you folks are on your way to a fun evening!

To help out Keith, (and to help you guys remember what you listened to), it might be a good idea to make a quick log entry as each album is being played, including what it is, who brought it and some notes of how it sounds.

Of course, unless you get around to listening to everything, not all the albums people came with would show up on the log (don't want to make this a big book keeping exercise when the goal is to listen and enjoy the time together). So at a minimum, to avoid confusion when everyone is packing up to go home, it's probably a good idea for everyone to show up with all their own albums already labled with their name.

No one would intentionally carry off someone elses disc, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to forget who brought what by the end of the night, when CDs all start to look alike, especially if alcohol is involved to "enhance" the listening. :>) Makes it a lot easier to sort out the stack at the player if each disc is already labled by owner.

Enjoy!

Burke

Comment

• Bam!
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2004

Burke!

Good point!...I like the log book idea.....Actually we are going to be listening to some Chesky cd`s to try and tweak the 2 channel...they are bringing some tweaking stuff too!

As for labelling the cd`s you are right...at one point you do forget in all the excitement....

Thanks again duders!

And I will find time to write about the cd`s and the experience....Apparently it is the first of many

Wooooooooo whooooooooooooo!

On top of it I have a new 1056 coming in ands another 2 channel integrated next week....In 3 week 2 new subs!

Woooooooooo whoooooooooo!

Take care!

Bam!

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I agree, you won't need to go out and get any new music or have special sections prepared. If you're bringing over audio enthusiasts, much less actual audiophiles, they'll bring much more material than you'll be able to demo, regardless of how much time you actually spend.

Now, I too want to read the list of what people choose to demo. Always interested to hear! (I'll go ahead and get out the checkbook, too, to get ready for the purchases I'm sure will follow)

CHRIS
                Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Bam!
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2004

Hey duders!

Well it is done! I am all over the place again...quite pooped out too!

So it is hard to tell the whole story in the detail I would like to but I don' t think the guide could support a novel!

Well they came over.. and...we just got right in it...like in seconds... They listened...then...suggestions came up with speaker placement...The final position was ...It was like buying new speakers all over again...(By the way I used to move speakers around like every 10 minutes....I stopped doing that...I know the sound of my Epos.....now the new sound truly does sing much better!)

We discovered that the mids and certain high frequencies were indeed missing :cry: ...however I will be doing tweaks to these babies...like putting in a new capicitor, putting in 4 posts to Biamp, change the wires inside and couple of other things! Wooo whoooo!

The music list.....

My cds seem to be the popular ones...the reference ones...the one's we kept coming back to !!!

So we heard Dave Brubeck..Live at Carnegie Hall.disk 2 song 4
                  Pat. Barber Modern Cool, song 7 2:30 in
                  Pt barber Modern Cool, song 10
                  Pat Barber Companion XRCD2... Song 4 Let it rain...

Eric Clapton and BB king...Meet the king

Tears for Fears ops:

Dire Straits, on cd and on vinyl

Vivaldi 4 seasons

Chesky cds... will check on the precise one for ya!...freakin awesome....sometimes disapointing though when you don' t get the sound you are supposed to! The guys knew the cd by heart and what we should be hearing and feeling and at what part of the song...it was so mathematical...so obvious....so in your face...

Anyway...then one of the guys invited us to his place since tweaking mine any further was pointless since I am getting the new receiver Wednesday

----------------------------------

I arrive.....we go downstairs...Bam! (pardon the pun) A CRT RUNCO! 8O What a mammoth!...HD! on a da lite 1.3 gain screen.

Black is truly black! Unreal....it was my first time experiencing a CRT...let alone a RUNCO...he had a HTPC running through it.

B&W 802! Beautiful
                  McINtosh monoblocks * 2 600 watters!
                  Pre amp McIntosh
                  Pre Amp theta for cinema
                  Transparent cables
                  Anthem 3* 200 watts for center (Paradigm reference) and JM labs Dipole for rears

Paradigm Servo 15 sub

Sony 9000ed sacd player

I am sure I am forgetting a couple of things but that is mostly the ensemble....

(I had a hard time getting the soundstage...I think one monoblock was playing louder than the other...something like that)
                  B&W's that I have heard had no color to the sound...His did....Could it be the McIntosh...or the cables....dunno....but it was colored...I told him Nice color however!

Cineam sound he had all the Dolby openings...the F1 one was truly spectacular...so much authority....so clean...those babies can handle anything you throw at them!

Any ways any questions?
                  Comments!

Take care duders!

Bam!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                    • Sep 2001

Bam!

Thanks for the report. It's fun to read about what you listened to and what the others suggested for your set up. Sounds like you and your buddies had quite an evening listening to some cool music -- and a lot of work ahead of you, if you follow all their suggestions. :>)

That other dude has some serious money tied up in his system, eh? And even with all that stuff, it still wasn't "perfect"? :>) Of course, no system is ever going to be "perfect", and I've heard a half million dollar system that was so "off" that I was glad to get home to my much more modest system so I could listen to some music instead of hear the problems. :>) There's something about spending tons of money on a system that causes people to put in earplugs when they set it up. (joke)

I hope with all that fancy equipment, that he's got some decent chairs to sit on in the same room. (One of my pet peeves is putting megabucks into the HT gear but skimping on the seating -- it's just as important for long term enjoyment.)

Anyhoo, glad you had a good time and thanks again for sharing the details.

Burke

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I arrive.....we go downstairs...Bam! (pardon the pun) A CRT RUNCO! What a mammoth!...HD! on a da lite 1.3 gain screen.

Black is truly black! Unreal....it was my first time experiencing a CRT...let alone a RUNCO...he had a HTPC running through it.

B&W 802! Beautiful
                      McINtosh monoblocks * 2 600 watters!
                      Pre amp McIntosh
                      Pre Amp theta for cinema
                      Transparent cables
                      Anthem 3* 200 watts for center (Paradigm reference) and JM labs Dipole for rears

Paradigm Servo 15 sub

Sony 9000ed sacd player

I am sure I am forgetting a couple of things but that is mostly the ensemble....

(I had a hard time getting the soundstage...I think one monoblock was playing louder than the other...something like that)
                      B&W's that I have heard had no color to the sound...His did....Could it be the McIntosh...or the cables....dunno....but it was colored...I told him Nice color however!

Cineam sound he had all the Dolby openings...the F1 one was truly spectacular...so much authority....so clean...those babies can handle anything you throw at them!
                      Bam!!
                      That sounds incredible! I would sure love to see that Runco!!
                      Maybe someday!
                      Lucky for you to be able to experience that magnitude of gear!!
                      ;x(

Trevor
                      My HomeTheater S.E.
                      Sonically Enhanced
                      C5
                      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Danbry39
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Sep 2002

Yes, enjoyed the description of the event. Ain't those McIntosh mono blocks huge?

Keith
                        Keith

Comment

• Bam!
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2004

Hey guys!

Glad you are enjoying this thread...let me tell you I am having the a great time too!

Right now Rotel 1056 on the way...will get Wednesday...then I think I am buying an Infocus DLP projector...then one of my new found buddies will be helping me sup up my pc to a HTPC!

wooooooooooooo whoooooooooooooo!!!!

Bam!

Comment

• John Holmes
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Wow Bam! Sounds like a fantastic time was had by all. Some great music on the list too.

Also, it's always nice to get a fresh pair of ears for our systems. Glad your having fun.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

then one of my new found buddies will be helping me sup up my pc to a HTPC!
                              Yous should wander over to Tower of Power for HTPC info too. I'd recommend one of the Ahanix cases http://www.ahanix.com/ctg_htc.html

if you want the best and can afford them

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                              Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2004

Jason!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttt!!!!

Bam!

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"